Friday, May 1, 2015

Discover Hometown Surf in Taiwan #1

It was such an adventure discovering hometown surf the first time.       

Friends in Taiwan“Look, Taiwan got some surf dude…”My Sol Cal surf buddies always show me surf stories or pictures about the surf in Taiwan in the magazine. Having been residing in Sol Cal and surfed a lot of places in different countries, I do want to discover the surf in my hometown sometime. It has been put off for years because my visit was always occupied with family activities and errands.

Finally once-a-life chance appeared itself: 24 hours. During one of my visits, my parents had to attend a very important wedding out of town. I was left home alone for one day! I immediately called everyone I know. No one wanted to take a day off to get in the water in Dec. Water temp was still in the 70s but the air could be in the 60s. It was the kind of season that only surfers could enjoy going to the beach. It could be a bit intimidating and exciting at the same time, thinking that I had to surf in a new spot all by myself.   But I can’t waste this once-a-life time chance. Surf forecast showed knee to waist high the next day. It would be a piece of cake if I could find the spot.  Quickly arranged things with a local surf shop there, I rushed to the train station.

The public transportation system in a big city like Taipei can be confusing sometimes, even for a native Mandarin speaker like me. I jumped on to the train at 730 pm that was supposed to take me to the surf town, according to the staff.  At rush hour, the train was crowded… full of students and people just got off work. I was very excited about my adventure. People started to get off the train, as the train left the city further behind. Finally it was just 4 or 5 people in the train carriage. At 9 o’clock, the train conductor announced that next stop would be the final stop for this train… I looked up the name on the map…  

Wait no… it was like 2 stops prior to the surf shop stop!!  I turned to the train conductor, a man in his 60s who looked like the grandpa next door. He asked, “What are you doing there?” … I thought to me myself, “this old man probably doesn’t know what surfing is”.. so I said, “ I booked a hostel there”. He went, “are you going to surf there by any chance?” I looked at him, astonished.  I replied, “so.. do you surf”?  He said, “ ya… I’ve surfed for 30+ years… in fact that was the reason that I took the job as a train conductor because it took me to the surf town every day!  But I started to like skiing recently. I organized several ski trips to Korea online every season!”…  I was speechless… yeah man… a grandpa train conductor who surfed and skied and organized trips online?!… What a great omen for the adventure, although I still needed to figure out the way to get there.

I was told to wait for another train at the “last stop”, a little train station for another 30 minutes. No one else was there. Just me and another nut who took the wrong train as well… my phone rang. It was my mom.
Me: “Hi mom”.
Mom: “Hello. What are you doing? Is everything all right?”
Me: “Everything is good”
Mom: “Where are you? Why it sounds so empty”…
Me: “I was… hum… in a train station”
Mom: “WHAT??? What are you doing there??”
Me: “I’m going to surf…”
Mom: “to SURF? Don’t you surf enough in LA? Why can’t you stay at home and wait for me to come back? Who are you going with? Where are you staying?”
Me: “errr.. no body… I’m staying at a local surf shop”…
Mom: “WHAT????? You’re going alone??? It’s really late now and you haven’t got there. Go home now. You can go next time.”
Me: “I’d be fine…”
Mom: “G-O H-O-M-E”..
Me: “I can’t…”
… silence…
………………..
Mom: ”FINE, GOOD LUCK”…  finally my mom burst it loud and hung up.

The nun gave me a smile. I smiled it back. My heart sank a little. I looked around the dark station again. Ya…. It was kinda sketchy being here all by myself at this time of the day..  but I have been to worse parts of the world. I would be just fine in my home country. Most of people were nice anyways. I was so close. I couldn’t just turn around.
  
At 10 o’clock, I arrived at the station in the surf town. It was dark. A woman took off the train at the same station too. From the corner of my eye, I saw a guy in his 20s and a little boy waiting at the station. I went pass by them and walked outside of the train station. The surf shop told they were “just outside of the train station.” But I saw nothing outside of the train station. There might be something.. but street was so dark... I couldn’t really tell. I decided to walk towards a light about 500 yards at the left of the station. Occasionally trucks and cars sped past by with whistling and yelling… then I heard people walking behind me. Many thoughts came to my mind. I started sweating and getting nervous so I walked faster and faster towards the light. I started to wonder if it was a wise idea. Maybe I should have waited for next time. The steps behind me sped up too. I started to run and reached this little grocery store with the light before they caught up with me. “Excuse.. excuse.. me... where.. where is the.. the surf shop?! “, I asked while catching my breath.  “Excuse.. excuse.. me... are.. are.. you.. Ming..?” a voice came from my back, out of breath too. I turned around and they were the guy in his 20’s and the boy. Whue!! I relieved and laughed. They weren’t sure if I was the guest they were expecting. They wanted to ask me but I kept walking faster and faster and started running.

I followed them back to a small surf shop that had like 3 racks of clothing and a bunch of surf boards. Behind the store there was a room with wood floor. There was a huge flat screen TV in the room, some blankets, pillows and the owner of the surf shop, a man in his mid 40s with long hair, and his 3 yr-old daughter.  “Wait…I did not just book a sleeping space in this room… this can’t be real…” I thought to myself.  The owner started to introduce himself and gave me a warm welcome. It turned out that he was a fellow surfer and a pretty nice guy.  They later showed me the dorm room I would be staying behind the house... Whue!! Great. Things looked more legit now.

Next day I went surfing early in the morning with another surfer who happened to be in the dorm that day. Although it’d probably be a piece of cake for me to surf alone on a small day like that, I just felt so much relief and comfortable getting into a new spot with a local.  The spot was not well marked either. The surf shop was right by the water. We still had to walk past a few bridges, beaches and dogs to get there. There was nobody. No other surfers. Pretty cool. We surfed in a beautiful bay surrounded by high mountains.  It was a right point break so the shape was good. The water was still warm in the 70s in Dec. Wave was small that day but I was still super stoked about the entire trip. I sat on my board thinking “I can’t believe I make it!”


For more info on the surf trip in Taiwan, please contact Friends in Taiwan.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
By Ming for Friends in Taiwan Adventure


No comments:

Post a Comment